New Python 3.0 string formatting - really necessary?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Dec 19 17:45:37 EST 2008

r wrote:
[...]
> Like Python’s forcing of empty tuple in function calls, that is a good
> idea. This allows you to clearly see arguments in source code. I like
> in Python there is only one, or a very minimal number of ways to do
> something(but usually only one is the best). Ruby is littered with
> different ways to do the same thing. I think this will be Ruby’s
> undoing…. And Pythons if we follow down this road.
>
> And lets not forget Python forcing of indention, that is Pythons
> greatest strength!

Kindly allow me to disabuse you of the notion that a function call with
no arguments is a function reference followed by an empty tuple. It
might *look* like that, but it isn't. Otherwise we'd write a function
call with one argument as f(a, ) - which readers will have noticed we don't.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119