Strengths and weaknesses of Pygame vs. pyglet vs. PyOpenGL?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Dec 8 17:21:30 EST 2008

illume wrote:
> On Dec 8, 7:31 pm, alex23 <wuwe... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Dec 8, 2:26 pm, illume <ren... at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> pygame is simpler to learn, since it doesn't require you to know how
>>> to create classes or functions.
>> I'm not sure if I'd be quick to tout that as an advantage... :)
>
> Hi,
>
> It's easier to teach only requiring *using* classes, and functions
> than *creating* them.  This is important if it's being used to teach
> programming - as you don't need to teach people two fairly large
> concepts before you can do anything.

Every program defines a function that maps input from the external world
(possible null, but not for a game) to output to the external world
(presumable not null, certainly not for a game).  So defining internal
function objects is not that big a step.

I agree that creating new classes is a big step, and that using
callbacks can be a mind-twister.

tjr