Python surpasses Perl in popularity?

Stephane Chazelas stephane.chazelas at unicyclist.com
Mon Dec 1 06:53:18 EST 2008

2008-12-01, 08:51(+00), Casper H.S  Dik:
> Stephane CHAZELAS <stephane_chazelas at yahoo.fr> writes:
>
>>It's true it was vague and misleading,
>
>>/bin is not the standard place to look for "sh" as far as the
>>"POSIX" standard is concerned. That doesn't mean that standard
>>commands (POSIX or not) cannot be found in /bin. But /bin/sh has
>>been made a non-standard place for "sh". It's the "legacy"
>>place. Those commands that have not undergone non-backward
>>compatible changes with POSIX can still be found in /bin, the
>>others are to be found in /usr/xpg<x>/bin (for the standard
>>versions).
>
> The proper place is "`getconf PATH`".  POSIX doesn't list any
> pathnames.
>
> Of course, the problem is then "where did getconf come from?".
[...]

Sorry, I was specifically speaking of Solaris 7, 8, 9. "getconf
PATH" is not enough, you have to pick the correct getconf, and
that getconf be called in the relevant environment. For
instance, in later versions of Solaris, I beleive you get
/usr/xpg6/bin or /usr/xpg4/bin first depending on the
environment.

Also, PATH is not necessarily the only thing needed to get you
the conformant utilities. See BIN_SH on Tru64, POSIXLY_CORRECT
on GNU...

I beleive the only thing POSIX requires is that how to get into
the proper environment be documented (but it is unspecified).
On Solaris, I beleive it's in the standards(5) man page.

--
Stéphane