Guido's new method definition idea

Andreas Waldenburger geekmail at
Sat Dec 6 13:32:58 CET 2008

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 04:02:54 -0800 (PST) bearophileHUGS at wrote:

> class C:
>     def $method(arg):
>         $value = arg
> (Note there's no point after $, it's not currently possible).
> Ruby uses @ and @@ for similar purposes.
> I agree that the code looks worse, but also shorter to read and write,
> so in lines of code that use many instance attributes, that short $
> syntax helps keep the line shorter. So I may grow to accept this
> sugar...
But that is not the way Python is meant to work. There are several
tennets in the Zen of Python that don't chime well with this approach.
"self" is a speaking identifier, "$" isn't.

we've-been-through-this-ingly yours

My real email address is constructed by swapping the domain with the
recipient (local part).