Emacs vs. Eclipse vs. Vim
nick at craig-wood.com
Mon Dec 1 13:30:46 CET 2008
Josh <jhofmo at hotmail.com> wrote:
> If you were a beginning programmer and willing to make an investment in
> steep learning curve for best returns down the road, which would you pick?
IMHO I'd want these features
* Keyboard macros
* Regular expression search and replace
* Integration with version control
* Infinite undo
* Syntax colouring (not essential)
* Bracket matching (useful but not essential)
* Integration with compiler with error throwback (essential for C code work)
* Automatic indenting (a great time saver)
I know that emacs (my choice) and vim have all these features, don't
know about Eclipse.
In fact if I had to pick one feature that a programmer's editor must
have it would be keyboard macros.
Nick Craig-Wood <nick at craig-wood.com> -- http://www.craig-wood.com/nick
More information about the Python-list