Python is slow

Andreas Kostyrka andreas at kostyrka.org
Mon Dec 15 02:26:16 EST 2008

Am Sun, 14 Dec 2008 20:38:58 -0800 (PST)
schrieb cm_gui <cmgui2 at gmail.com>:

> hahaha, do you know how much money they are spending on hardware to
> make
> youtube.com fast???

yeah, as they do for basically all big sites, no matter what language
is used for implementation.

Next is the fact that it's rather simple with Python to meet speed
demands where external factors like Gb vs 10Gb network cards are the
limiting factor.

And last, you do realize that most "simple" websites do hinge on the
performance and scalability of the underlying SQL server. In practice
some languages like PHP do force that "LAMP" model much stronger on the
developer, which makes developing systems that scale beyond a certain
point a challenge.

So to summarize, Python is fast enough for even demanding stuff, and
when done correctly even number crunching or binary parsing huge files
or possible in competitive speeds. But you sometime need a developer
that can wield the tool with a certain experience, and not a stupid
rookie that whines that his tool does not make his O(n**n) algorithm
automatically blazing fast.

Andreas