StringIO in 2.6 and beyond

Bill McClain 20080915.20.wmcclain at spamgourmet.com
Tue Dec 9 14:24:13 EST 2008

On 2008-12-09, MRAB <google at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:

> In Python 2.x unmarked string literals are bytestrings. In Python 3.x
> they're Unicode. The intention is to make the transition from 2.x to 3.x
> easier by adding some features of 3.x to 2.x, but without breaking
> backwards compatibility (not entirely successfully!).

It is a bit ugly. In 2.6 StringIO won't take bytestrings, so I apply u'x'. But
in 3.0 u'x' will be gone and I'll have to change the code again.

It's a small effort for what I am working on, but frustrating trying to puzzle
this out from the docs, which I couldn't do.

-Bill
--
Sattre Press                              History of Astronomy
http://sattre-press.com/               During the 19th Century