Multiple Versions of Python on Windows XP

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Dec 5 19:19:31 EST 2008

Glenn Linderman wrote:
> I'm unaware of it needing to handle multiple extensions
> from the command line or via double clicking in Explorer, so was
> exploiting the extra level of indirection to save typing, and make the
> command simpler to remember.

Python *does* provide multiple useful extensions that you might want to
double-click, namely .py and .pyw. It also provides an association for
.pyc; whether that is useful or not may be debatable.

> Not sure what your reference to an editor is about.

This I also wonder about. Apparently, his editor has the capability of
running Python scripts, and then his question is how to make the editor
use a different Python version (and he assumed that there is the notion
of a "default" Python version in Windows, and that the editor would just
run the default).

I'm still very unsure as to what his editor actually does, but his
report of success seems to indicate that it choses the interpreter
associated with .py.

Regards,
Martin