New Python 3.0 string formatting - really necessary?

Sat Dec 20 21:07:19 EST 2008

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 16:01:58 -0800, r wrote:

> Just to be on record, i am OK with adding a new way to do this as long
> as the old C style str format does not ever go away. I don't like 20
> ways to do the same thing, but i really like the compact way of
> %formating now.

% formatting isn't compact unless you are only doing trivial
substitutions.

> My complaint is the deprecation of %formating.

% formatting hasn't been deprecated. All this Sturm und Drang over
nothing.

> Maybe
> i'll use the new syntax to print a tuple or two, but that is the only
> use i have for it ;).

Good for you. If your code is that trivial, then you're lucky.

> Slowing down Python even more than it is, is suicide.

Oh noes, we're all gonna die!!!

Just out of curiosity "r", how old are you? 14? 15? You're remarkably
mature for a 15 year old.

--
Steven