New Python 3.0 string formatting - really necessary?

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 21:11:51 EST 2008

On Dec 19, 7:12 pm, r <rt8... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Marc,
> Why move away from a concise and widely accepted way of sting
> formatting, just to supposedly make it a little easier for n00bs?

You were the one that brought it up, chief.  I doubt anyone is arguing
that this new formating was added just to make things easier for
newbies, we're just saying that your assertion that printf-style is
much easier for newbies is wrong.

If you care to, go read the rationale for this change PEP 3101.  You'd
see the new formating was added to address limitations of the printf-
style.  (Hint: the limitations aren't that %s, %d, and %f are hard to
remember.)

> *It may be time to start hacking my own personal version of the Python
> interpreter. hmm... Keep you ears to the ground...

My friend, if you can't even cope with a new system of string
formating, do you really expect to be able to maintain your own hacked-
up fork of a highly wrought out programming language?

Carl Banks