Article of interest: Python pros/cons for the enterprise

Aahz aahz at
Wed Feb 27 21:42:39 CET 2008

In article <3b3111d3-699d-4f8d-b99e-87a0666f60a7 at>,
Carl Banks  <pavlovevidence at> wrote:
>On Feb 24, 7:03 pm, a... at (Aahz) wrote:
>> In article <Y9KdnVYb7bq_m13anZ2dnUVZ_sedn... at>,
>> Jeff Schwab  <j... at> wrote:
>>>(3) Garbage collection is at least as desirable a language feature as
>>>deterministic destruction.
>> Enh.  There probably are some people who claim that, but I can't think
>> of any off-hand.
>I am most certainly claiming it; in fact I'm claiming that GC far more
>desirable, because the cost of deterministic destruction is too high.

I'm trimming the rest of your post because I don't have time to argue
with you, but I want to point out that you're making the same mistake
that Jeff is: garbage collection and deterministic destruction are not
the only techniques for managing memory and resources.  In particular,
CPython primarily relies on reference counting, which has similarities
with *both* GC and deterministic destruction.

Now you know why I said that I don't know anybody who makes Jeff's
claim.  ;-)
Aahz (aahz at           <*>

indirection."  --Butler Lampson