Edit Python code programmatically

Alex noname9968 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 07:18:17 EST 2008

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 14:38:29 +0300, Alex wrote:
>

>> Which library could you recommend to perform simple editing of Python
>> code (from Python program)?
>>

> I'm not even sure such a library exists.

Yes they exist, that field is called "code-generation", "generative
programming" etc.

>> For example, open *.py file, find specific
>> function definition, add another function call inside, find existing
>> call and change parameter value, etc.
>>

> Why do you want to do that? I'm not sure what you're trying to
> accomplish. Code refactoring? I imagine that's probably best done with
> your text editor: at best, your editor will have dedicated refactoring
> tools, and at worst, it will have global search and replace.
I don't feel like describing all ideas - it's nothing really intersting
anyway, just a learning project (to get to know language features), but
obviously it's not for regular programming - I know text editors can do
that just fine. Simply in some situation I think instead of generating
data I'd better generate some code.