Odd behaviour of *.pth files and Apache

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Feb 26 00:01:33 EST 2008

En Sat, 23 Feb 2008 12:52:45 -0200, D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net>
escribió:

> On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:55:25 -0500
> "D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy at druid.net> wrote:
>> I tried searching the archives for information on this but nothing
>> seemed to be germane.  I am running Python sripts as CGI under Apache
>> and I have a .pth file in site-packages that includes directory that
>> has another .pth in it.  Sometimes it picks up the paths in the
>> second .pth and sometimes it does not.  It always seems to work if I am
>> working in a location not in the ServerRoot but if I use the main site
>> it does not pick up the directories in the included .pth.
>
> I have more information now.  It seems that it recurses the .pth files
> it finds in PYTHONPATH but not for directories found in the .pth files
> in site-packages.  Is this expected behaviour?  The documentation
> suggests that it should pick up both.

If a .pth file contains a valid directory, it is added to sys.path but
it's not searched for additional .pth files. From
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-site.html

	"A path configuration file is a file whose name has the form package.pth
AND EXISTS IN ONE OF THE FOUR DIRECTORIES MENTIONED ABOVE" (emphasis by me)

(the four directories being .../lib/python2.5/site-packages, site-python,
etc.)

(Mmm, what the 2.5 docs say is not exactly the same as the actual code in
site.py, and the version in http://docs.python.org/dev/library/site.html
is not the same as the svn version of site.py... anyway, directories added
by mean of .pth files are not recursively searched for more .pth files)

--
Gabriel Genellina