How can I kill CGIHTTPServer ?

eching bingopajama at
Mon Feb 11 07:18:04 CET 2008

I'm running CGIHTTPServer with the serve_forever method and I cannot
get the darn thing to stop unless I kill the command prompt its
running in.  I searched for similar posts here and found this:

But there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer.  I tried one of the
last proposed solutions:

    class Server(SocketServer.ThreadingMixIn, SocketServer.TCPServer):
        pause = 0.25
        allow_reuse_address = True

        def __init__(self, server_address, RequestHandlerClass):
            SocketServer.TCPServer.__init__(self, server_address,
            self.serving = 1

        def serve_forever(self):
            while self.serving:

And that worked, but the last post in the thread suggested '...this
would cause timeouts in the middle of handling request whenever a
client is slow'

Can anyone comment on this solution or have other possible solutions?
Eventually I probably will want this to run as a windows service to
serve up some internal apps, so it would be great if I could the
server to shutdown gracefully.

Thanks in advance,