Article of interest: Python pros/cons for the enterprise

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Feb 24 19:03:41 EST 2008

In article <Y9KdnVYb7bq_m13anZ2dnUVZ_sednZ2d at comcast.com>,
Jeff Schwab  <jeff at schwabcenter.com> wrote:

>What I would like is not so much a new Python implementation, as a
>vehicle to help demonstrate a few things to other Python users.
>Recently, I've had a few replies in tones that imply I'm on the brink of
>entering several kill-files, mostly because I express disagreement with
>a few closely held beliefs of some other c.l.p posters.  For example,
>the following are widely held opinions with which I disagree:
>
>(1) Python is a gotcha-free language.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA -- please, do provide some evidence for this assertion.

>(2) C++ is basically the same language as C, but more complicated.

Hardly.  Again, you need to provide evidence for this assertion.  What I
would say is that C++ has *all* the gotchas of C plus many of its own.

>(3) Garbage collection is at least as desirable a language feature as
>deterministic destruction.

Enh.  There probably are some people who claim that, but I can't think
of any off-hand.  However, I suspect that part of the problem is that
you don't really understand Python: Python primarily relies on reference
counting, which combined with other features in Python makes cycle
creation rather easy, and there's no real option other than garbage
collection for cleaining up cycles.

>(4) Static typing is inferior to dynamic typing.

There's some truth to what you say, but you are entirely misrepresenting
what people actually say: static typing is inferior to unit tests, and
dynamic typing requires less boilerplate than static typing and is
therefore easier to write.

>In other ways, though, the Python community is just blindingly ignorant,
>arrogant, and argumentative.

Absolutely.  But your blind ignorance and arrogant argumentation isn't
helping any.

>I expect my use of Python to increase in the coming years, so I want
>the best possible relationship with other regular users, especially on
>Usenet.

Then maybe you should start by learning Python and what people actually
say about it.

indirection."  --Butler Lampson