print help content in a Command Prompt

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Feb 26 02:09:15 EST 2008

En Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:18:19 -0200, <bkamrani at gmail.com> escribió:

> On Feb 25, 12:59 pm, Necmettin Begiter <necmettin.begi... at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> 25 February 2008 Monday 11:15:14 tarihinde bkamr... at gmail.com şunları
>> yazmıştı:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> > This is a basic problem, but I want to print help content in a Command
>> > Prompt in WinXP and scrolling back to see the first lines. If I start
>> > a command prompt and run python, and then for example,

>> > it starts showing the help, which can be controlled by page or raw
>> > using Spacebar or Enter but after this ends, it seems that I can't
>> > scroll back to see again the first lines.
>> > In the  Command Prompt Properties, layout tab, my Screen buffer size
>> > is Width:80, Height:3000 and windows size 80x40 (W&H).
>>
>> > Any idea...? thanks in advance!!
>> > /Ben
>>
>> Try PgUp when in Python help view.
>>
>> Try "python -c 'help(list)'" to get the help without Python prompt.
>
> Even this doesn't help. But I think I've found a reason for this.
> If I change the "start in" directory to C:\WINDOWS\system32\ (this is
> where the cmd.exe file is located), then the printed text doesn't get
> hide. Don't ask me why...

I usually open a new console pressing [windows key]+R, "run", no "start
in" directory is involved.
I've seen that after executing a 16-bit program, the console "switches" to
16 bit "compatibility mode", or something like that. The prompt is
displayed using short file names, and the screen buffer is disabled.

--
Gabriel Genellina