Linux Journal Survey

Albert van der Horst albert at spenarnc.xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 2 12:03:45 EST 2008

In article <56eb736f-5ba3-417a-a4c1-3a310a67c3d3 at s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
Russ P. <Russ.Paielli at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Jan 23, 7:42 pm, George Sakkis <george.sak... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 23, 8:14 pm, dwb... at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> > The annual Linux Journal survey is online now for any Linux users who
>> > want to vote for Python.  http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1006101

>> 18. What is your favorite programming language?
>>
>> (15 choices, Python not included)
>>
>> 19. What is your favorite scripting language?
>>
>> o Python
>>
>> o Perl
>>
>> (5 more choices)
>>
>> Python is much more than a "scripting language" (whatever this means,
>> other than a semi-derogatory term used by clueless PHBs). Sorry, I'll
>> pass.
>>
>> George
>

>Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I think of a Python
>"script" as a flat source file with no (or few) functions or classes,
>whereas a full-blown "program" has functions and classes. Both have
>their place.
>
>I agree it is unfortunate that the Linux World poll classified Python
>as a "scripting language." I suspect they did that because Python is
>not (typically) compiled and does not have static typing.

In the context of linux a programming language is
a language that generates an ELF binary executable to be stored
in a /.../bin/ directory.
A scripting language is a language whose programs are normally
distributed in human-readable form. It is appropriate to call
such a program a script. If the first two characters is "#!"
and the execution bit is set, it is a script in the linux sense.

So as far as I can tell it boils down to a clear technical
distinction, and I'm sure they didn't mean offence.

Groetjes Albert

albert at spe&ar&c.xs4all.nl &=n http://home.hccnet.nl/a.w.m.van.der.horst