Python seems to be ignoring my except clause...

Adam W. AWasilenko at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 08:41:40 EST 2008

I am trying to handle a Unicode error but its acting like the except
clause is not even there.  Here is the offending code:

        def characters(self, string):
            if self.initem:
                try:
                    self.data.append(string.encode())
                except:
                    self.data.append('No habla la Unicode')

And the exception:

  File "C:\Users\Adam\Desktop\XMLWorkspace.py", line 65, in characters
    try:
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\u2026' in
position 83: ordinal not in range(128)

Its got to be something really dumb I'm missing, this make no sence.