Is there any Generic RSS/ATOM generator in Python?

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Thu Feb 14 08:21:37 EST 2008

Torsten Bronger wrote:
> js writes:
>
>> Trivial?
>> More than XML::Atom::Feed?
>> http://search.cpan.org/~miyagawa/XML-Atom-0.28/lib/XML/Atom/Feed.pm
>
> Excerpt from my code:
>
>     root = ElementTree.Element("feed", xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom")
>     ElementTree.SubElement(root, "id").text = self.id
>     ElementTree.SubElement(root, "title").text = self.title
>     ElementTree.SubElement(root, "updated").text = format_time(self.updated)

Look at the bottom of this page for an RSS example using the "E factory":

http://effbot.org/zone/element-builder.htm

I find it much more readable than the above code, especially if you use the
version that comes with lxml.objectify, which has better support for
namespaces and data types:

http://codespeak.net/lxml/objectify.html#tree-generation-with-the-e-factory

Stefan