Linux/Python Issues

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Sun Feb 17 15:48:12 EST 2008

MartinRinehart at gmail.com schrieb:
> I went to Python.org, DL'd Python 2.5 source code per the usual
> inadequate instructions and ran the make files successfully (sort of).
> Python 2.5 works fine. But "from Tkinter import *" gets a "What's
> Tkinter?" message. IDLE's no where to be found.
>
> What's not in the instructions is what directory should I be in when I
> download? Where should I put the ".bz2" file? What dir for running the
> make files? At present I'm working on a Windows machine, endangering
> what's left of my sanity.
>
> I'm using Linspire, so Debian directories are probably the ones that
> will get me up and running. Barring specific knowledge, even some good
> guesses would be appreciated.

Nothing special, just reading the "configure --help" will help you. You
need Tcl/Tk + possible devel-packages so the header-files are found. I'm
not an expert on the required versions, but that should be told you
somewhere.

But I doubt that there isn't a python2.5 already available for your
distro - especially if it's debian based. Ubuntu for example has 2.5 as
default.

Diez