Python GUI toolkit

Thomas Dybdahl Ahle lobais at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 14:38:41 EST 2008

On Sun, 2008-02-03 at 15:18 +0000, default at defaulted.default wrote:
> what would be the best python GUI toolkit, it must be cross platform.
>
> i have tried gtk, but it interface are real bad and its coding was
difficult
> so i dropped it,

I came from Sving to Gtk, so for me also it was a real brainbreak.
However I must say I got used to it.
I have a good list of links if you still have some corruage.

> the only remaining are qt4 and wx, i would like to know if one of
these or
> any other toolkit is capable of creating good-looking GUI's, like in
other
> apps, for e.g, .net apps.

Well, I've always hated wx apps. It might be a good toolkit for writing,
but I've never seen a good-looking app written in it.

For Qt there is also distance between the good looking apps. However
with qt4 I've started to see some. They still don't fit good into gnome
of cource, but it's not as bad as it used to. I also think the toolkit
is nice for writing.

Another toolkit you might look into is Tkinter. I think it is something
like the "official" toolkit for python. I also think it is an adapter
for other toolkits, so it will use gtk widgets on gnome, qt widgets on
kde and some other strange widgets on windows.

> i m a noob, and willing to learn, so difficulty is no problem

In that case I think you should give gtk another try. The way it is
build is very much based on GObject, which is also used in a number of
other gnome libraries + stuff like Clutter.