first time use of swig, python and c++ .. it's a mess ... please advice

Eric von Horst z80vsvic20 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 28 14:42:49 EST 2008

On Feb 27, 9:44 pm, "Bronner, Gregory" <gregory.bron... at lehman.com>
wrote:
> The operator= stuff is usually innocuous.
> The compiler died because it couldn't find 'vector', which is reasonable, since it thought it was compiling a C file.
>
> Probably because you swigged the file without the magic "-c++" option -- I'm not sure how distutils passes arguments to swig, but if you do it from the command line, you'll do something like swig -c++ -python -I<path to python> <file> and it will generate a .cpp  file and a .py file, which will (hopefully) compile.
>
> I'd focus on doing it manually, then getting distutils to work properly.

That is indeed what I did.

A do get .cpp file. The thin is that if I run setup, the library is
again swigged but without the -c++ option (see original post)

but honestly, I don't know what to do after I have the .cpp file.

I could not find any docs that explained clearly how to compile if you
are using C++

The only thing I found was that it was not so straightforward

So, again, any help is very much appreciated