Article of interest: Python pros/cons for the enterprise

Nicola Musatti Nicola.Musatti at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 13:31:06 EST 2008

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch wrote:
[...]
> Or are used to think of OOP as a graph of objects that are communicating
> with each other.  In the value type style you are "talking" to copies of
> objects all the time which I find a bit confusing because *I* have to keep
> track of which maybe not so identical twin brother of an object I'm
> talking at each point.

But C++ gives you both; you use values for things that have equality but
not identity and (smart) pointers for the opposite case.

> Also it seems odd to me to copy large collections around instead of
> passing references.  Your `izip()` creates a quite small `map` -- what
> about big ones.  With mutable objects!?

True, and in a serious application I'd probably pass the map by
reference into the function. Still, it's rather likely that these copies
are optimized away by the compiler; this is what VC++ does, for instance.

Cheers,
Nicola Musatti
--
Nicola.Musatti <at> gmail <dot> com