(websearch) script ?

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at wtf.websiteburo.oops.com
Tue Feb 5 03:23:34 EST 2008

Stef Mientki a écrit :
(snip)
> The most important one is a PHP script that searches text in all
> documents on my website.
> Does someone has such a script ?

There's some good stuff in Zope for plain-text indexing. I think you
could build from this (IIRC, looking for TextIndexNG should take you at
the right place).

(snip)
> Now in more general,
> If I need such a script in PHP or Perl, I can find dozens on the web,
> for Python I can not find None ???

Usually, with Python, you'll find either whole packages - the Python
might be a good start:
packages index http://pypi.python.org/pypi

or receipes in the cookbook http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python

> Am I mistaken that these kind of tasks can be equally well performed by
> Python as PHP or Perl ?

Perl can be amazing wrt/ text processing - but it has been specifically
designed for this kind of tasks. But yes, Python is a good fit too for
this kind of tasks - far better than PHP. You may want to read David
Mertz's book on this topic:
http://gnosis.cx/TPiP/

> If so, why can't I find all kinds of standard scripts on the web ?

What do you call "standard scripts" ? Plain text search is not a simple
task - at least if you want something usable and efficient.

Else, I can't tell for Perl, but the vast majority of PHP scripts you'll
find on the web is just crap.