TIOBE declares Python as programming language of 2007!

ajaksu ajaksu at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 14:55:12 EST 2008

On Jan 7, 9:53 am, Berco Beute <cybe... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Cool! We knew it would happen one day :)
> What could be the reason? Python 3? Jython 2.2? Java's loss of
> sexiness?
>
> What I would like to know is what it was that boosted Python's
> popularity in 2004 (seehttp://www.tiobe.com/tiobe_index/Python.html).
> Equally interesting is the question why it dropped shortly after.
>
> 2B

>From  http://www.tiobe.com/index.htm?tiobe_index(and
http://www.tiobe.com/tiobe_index/images/tpci_trends.png )

# Q: What happened to Java in April 2004? Did you change your
methodology?

A: No, we did not change our methodology at that time. Google changed
its methodology. They performed a general sweep action to get rid of
all kinds of web sites that had been pushed up. As a consequence,
there was a huge drop for languages such as Java and C++. In order to
minimize such fluctuations in the future, we added two more search
engines (MSN and Yahoo) a few months after this incident.