Telnet Program

Tim Roberts timr at
Thu Jan 31 08:35:50 CET 2008

Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at> wrote:

>On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 16:23:28 -0800 (PST), "paul.zorn at"
><paul.zorn at> declaimed the following in comp.lang.python:
>> Telnet(,5000): send '\n\n'
>	Should that be "\r\n" (or, if two lines is intended, "\r\n\r\n")

I don't think so.  The RFC quote you provided talks about the physical
manifestation of CR and LF on a terminal, and says that a Telnet server
must be prepared to handle various combinations, but if you think about a
real Telnet session, the user is going to press CR when its through with a
line.  Thus, I would think he needs either \r\r or \n\n.
Tim Roberts, timr at
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.