Encryption Recommendation

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Mon Jan 28 10:27:31 EST 2008

rogerrath2 at gmail.com wrote:

> Hello -
>
> I'm still using Python 2.4.  In my code, I want to encrypt a password
> and at another point decrypt it.  What is the standard way of doing
> encryption in python?  Is it the Pycrypto module?

Usually, one doesn't store clear-text passwords. Instead, use a
hash-algorithm like md5 or crypt (the former is in the standard lib, don't
know of the other out of my head) and hash the password, and store that
hash.

If a user enters the password, use the same algorithm, and compare the
resulting hashes with the stored one.

Diez