Python Standardization: Wikipedia entry

Roy Smith roy at
Tue Jan 29 15:00:02 CET 2008

In article <mailman.1215.1201598807.896.python-list at>,
 "Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at> wrote:

> "Roy Smith" <roy at> wrote in message
> news:roy-3C105C.23015128012008 at
> | But, surely Python has plenty of "implementation defined" aspects.
> | Especially in the libraries.
> I personally do not consider the libraries as part of the language (as
> opposed to the distribution) and was not referring to them.

I realize that there is a difference between the core language and the
libraries, but Python depends on the libraries more than a lot of other
languages do.  They are the "batteries included" part.

Indeed, there is a lot of stuff in the "Python Library Reference" which in
most languages would be considered part of the core.  The description of
boolean operations (and, or, not), for example.  String, sequence, and
dictionary methods.  Where do you draw the line and say, "The core language
ends here; the rest is just libraries"?