re.search much slower then grep on some regular expressions

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 9 08:37:28 EDT 2008

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:
> -On [20080709 14:08], Kris Kennaway (kris at FreeBSD.org) wrote:
>> It's compiler/build output.
>
> Sounds like the FreeBSD ports build cluster. :)

Yes indeed!

> Kris, have you tried a PGO build of Python with your specific usage? I
> cannot guarantee it will significantly speed things up though.

I am pretty sure the problem is algorithmic, not bad byte code :)  If it
was a matter of a few % then that is in the scope of compiler tweaks,
but we're talking orders of magnitude.

Kris