Converting from local -> UTC

Keith Hughitt keith.hughitt at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 14:00:50 EDT 2008

Thanks Gabriel!

That helps clear things up for me. The above method works very well. I
only have one remaining question:
How can I pass a datetime object to MySQL?'

So far, what I've been doing is building the query as a string, for
example:

query = "INSERT INTO image VALUES(%d, %d, %s, '%s')" % (id, meas,
date, 'jpg')
cursor.execute(query)

This works fine for regular datetime objects, which are passed as
strings similar
to: "2003-10-01 00:00:00." When incorporating a timezone, however, the
resulting string
is of the form "2003-10-01 00:00:00+00:00." Unfortunately, MySQL does
not recognize
the offset.

I know you said you don't use MySQL, but how would you do something
execute a similar query
on the database you normally interface with?

Thanks,
Keith