Attack a sacred Python Cow

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Mon Jul 28 15:08:26 EDT 2008

Russ P. a écrit :
> On Jul 28, 4:23 am, Bruno Desthuilliers
> <bdesth.quelquech... at free.quelquepart.fr> wrote:
>> Russ P. a écrit :

(snip)

>>> A bonus is that it becomes
>>> clearer at the point of usage that ".data" is member data rather than
>>> a local variable.
>> I totally disagree. The dot character is less obvious than the 'self.'
>> sequence, so your proposition is bad at least wrt/ readability (it's
>> IMHO bad for other reasons too but I won't continue beating that poor
>> dead horse...)
>
> Man, you are one dense dude! Can I give you a bit of personal advice?
> I suggest you quit advertising your denseness in public.

Thanks.

> Letting "self" (or whatever the first argument was) be implied in
> ".cat" does absolutely *NOTHING* to change the internal workings of
> the Python interpreter.

You probably have a way better knowledge of Python's compiler and
interpreter than I do to assert such a thing. But if it's so easy,
please provide a working patch.

> It's a very simple idea that you insist on
> making complicated. As I said, I could write a pre-processor myself to
> implement it in less than a day.

Preprocessor are not a solution. Sorry.

> As for "dot" being less obvious than "self.", no kidding?

Nope. I'm deadly serious.

(snip no-op argument and name-calling).

> Your posts here are typical. I'm trying to make a suggestion to reduce
> the clutter in Python code,

s/the clutter/what Russ P. decided to consider as clutter/

> and you throw tomatoes mindlessly.

Oh, you don't stand people disagreing with you, that's it ?

> You seem to think that being a "regular" on this newsgroup somehow
> gives you special status.

Why so ? Because I answer to your proposition and not agree with  your
arguments ??? C'mon, be serious, you have the right to post your
proposition here, I have the right to post my reaction to your
proposition, period. Grow up, boy.

> I sure wish I had one tenth the time to
> spend here that you have. But even if I did, I have far more important
> work to do than to "hang out" on comp.lang.python all day every day.
> Man, what a waste of a life. Well, I guess it keeps you off the
> streets at least.

Boy, I don't know who you think you're talking to, but you're obviously
out of luck here. I'm 41, married, our son is now a teenager, I have an
happy social life, quite a lot of work, and no time to waste in the
streets. And FWIW, name-calling won't buy you much here.