Amazon: "Practical Django Projects" by James Bennett (June 2008)

Stefan Scholl stesch at no-spoon.de
Thu Jul 17 04:06:12 EDT 2008

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch <bj_666 at gmx.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 05:41:11 +0200, Stefan Scholl wrote:
>> Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:

>>> That's a remarkably ignorant statement.
>>
>> The 1.0 release will be in September.
>
> So what?  It's not the version number that matters but features and
> stability.  It's not uncommon in open source projects to have very usable
> software with a version number below 1.0.

The book is about the development version, which was current at
the time the book was written. See page 4.

Nobody says something about "Book after feature freeze" (or
similar). Instead I get "ignorant statement" and "usable
software".

My conclusion: This book isn't about a stable release and not
about a future stable release. (And even if it was about the last
stable relase, too much has changed and will change until
September 2008. IMHO.)

And by the way: The quote was changed by deleting something on
the same line:

        "June 2008 is a bit too early. Django isn't ready."

                vs.

        "Django isn't ready."

--
Web (en): http://www.no-spoon.de/ -*- Web (de): http://www.frell.de/