Tkinter Text widget get()

John McMoangle jmcmonagle at velseis.com.au
Sat Jul 5 04:52:00 EDT 2008

> Hey guys. I am having trouble understanding the get() method from
> the  Tkinter Text() widget. It isn't like the entry.get() one I am
> used to.  I know you have to put tags in, or at least I read. I
> tried this but  it didn't work. I think I was putting the tags in
> wrong but I am not  sure. I just need an example. So if someone
> could maybe modify this  code to get EVERYTHING inside the text widget.
>
> text = Text(parent)
> text.pack()
>
> text.insert(END, "I am text!")
>
> Of course, I will have much more text, but I still want to get
> everything in the box.

The arguments to the get method of the Text widget are strings in the form of
"line.position".

So, text.get('1.5', '2.7') returns the text from line 1 position 5 to line 2
position 7.

There are also some special tagged names such as END and SEL.

So, if you want to get all the text in your Text widget, text.get('1.0', END)
will do the trick.

I recommend finding the appropriate documentation at
http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/tkinter-reference.htm

Regards,

John