Building a Python app with Mozilla

Trent Mick trentm at activestate.com
Mon Jul 14 19:52:51 CEST 2008

> Brian Quinlan wrote:
>> Most application logic in Komodo is implemented in Python, using the
>> PyXPCOM bindings. The UI is implemented using XUL and JavaScript. The
>> editor is Scintilla (C++).
>>
>> ../Komodo Edit.app/Contents/MacOS % find . -name "*.py" | xargs wc
>> 126392  456858 4949602 total
>>
>> This doesn't include the python code in the Python libraries themselves.

An interesting breakdown here:
   http://www.ohloh.net/projects/10861/analyses/latest

happybrowndog wrote:
 > Is that why Komodo is so damned slow????

Probably not, no. Pinpointing the reasons for slowness is often a lot
more complicated. Particular slow points in any app/module -- especially
pathologically slow things -- are more often algoritmic than a function
of the language used. Komodo's use of Python is perhaps partially
responsible for a slower startup time than might otherwise be possible
-- but otherwise my experience in Komodo perf work has been algorithmic
issues. Also, if Komodo hadn't been using Python for application logic
since day one we probably wouldn't be much further than Notepad right
now. :)

Cheers,
Trent (komodo developer)

--