Attack a sacred Python Cow

Torsten Bronger bronger at
Sat Jul 26 16:25:18 CEST 2008

D'Arcy J.M. Cain writes:

> On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 09:45:21 +0200
> Torsten Bronger <bronger at> wrote:
>> Of course, "self" would have to become a reserved word.  You
>> could say that this may break some code, but I don't see much
>> freedom
> Isn't this a showstopper all by itself?

Yes.  But I've seen no code that uses some other word.  Emacs'
syntax highlighting even treats it as reserved.  So I think that
other counter-arguments are stronger.

The in my opinion strongest one is that automatic insertion of
"self" would make Python less verbose but more complicated.

                   Jabber ID: torsten.bronger at