Attribute reference design

chamalulu henrik at chamalulu.com
Tue Jul 1 18:47:20 EDT 2008

On Jul 1, 11:24 pm, "Diez B. Roggisch" <de... at nospam.web.de> wrote:
> chamalulu schrieb:
>
> > Hello.
> > I think I'm aware of how attribute access is resolved in python. When
> > referencing a class instance attribute which is not defined in the
> > scope of the instance, Python looks for a class attribute with the
> > same name. (For assignment or deletion this is not the case,
> > thankfully.)
> > I've been trying to understand why? What is the reason behind, or
> > practical purpose of, this design decision? Anyone, please enlighten
> > me.
>
> How else would you resolve methods which are of course defined on the
> class but invoked through the instance?

Yes, of course... You're right.
Didn't think of that.
Thank you. I'll go stand in the corner. :)

I think I haven't got this bound/unbound stuff through my head yet. If
I dir() a class instance I see the methods right there. Are they not
bound to the class instance at instanciation (and as such be
attributes of the class instance)?

/Henrik