properly delete item during "for item in..."

Gary Herron gherron at islandtraining.com
Thu Jul 17 12:45:01 EDT 2008

Ratko wrote:
> Say you have something like this:
>
> for item in myList:
>    del item
>
> Would this actually delete the item from the list or just decrement
> the reference counter because the item in myList is not associated
> with name "item" anymore (but still is with myList[itemIndex])? In
> other words, is "item" a temporary reference to myList[itemIndex] or
> is it actually that reference that myList has stored?

The 'del' statement does not delete an object, it deletes a reference to
an object.  In this case, the variable item is deleted from the scope,
and the referred-to object will have its reference counter decremented
by 1.  (But, as you surmise, not to zero, because the list will still
reference it.)

You could remove the object from the list with
  del myList[i]
if you knew i.  HOWEVER, don't do that while looping through the list!
Changing a list's length will interact badly with the for loop's
indexing through the list, causing the loop to mis the element following
the deleted item.

Gary Herron