Python 3.0 and removal of the 'string' module

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Jul 12 01:10:52 EDT 2008

Ben Finney wrote:

> So, in summary, despite the appearance of the "Python 3.0" page on the
> wiki, there's really no single clearing-house source of Python 3.0
> information that is maintained. The interested party needs to know a
> half-dozen different resources to find out what's changing, and none
> of the resources seems to attempt to be a single point of entry for
> the interested party.

The problem in this respect, as I hinted before, is that nothing gets
added or changed unless someone (or ones) volunteers to write a complete
patch (code + tests + doc as appropriate) and, usually, someone (or
ones) reviews and applies the patch.  And once it is in, it is there for
anyone to look at.

At this point, the changes Guido most cared about have pretty much been
done as far as I know, subject to bug fixes and a few tweaks.  Other
things that might go in are things he will allow but does not care too
much about.  The process is looser than I imagine it would be in a
compamy where the project manager (or someone) hires people and directs
them to work on specific items.