Python internals

Peter Anderson peter.anderson at internode.on.net
Wed Jul 16 02:39:25 EDT 2008

Ben Finney wrote:
> Larry Bates <larry.bates at websafe.com`> writes:
>
> The term "pointer" carries much extra baggage for a programmer
> thinking of C (as the original poster is)...

Thanks everyone!  Just a quick correction - "as the original poster is"
is a bit of a jump that does not reflect my original question. I DO
understand how C and other programming languages handle variables
internally (the bits of actual memory reserved, etc. etc.) and that's
why I asked the question in the first place.

If Python doesn't do it like C and the others then what mechanism does
it use - it's the sort of issue that helps me understand how the
language is interacting with the underlying operating system/hardware.

By way of background, in my ancient working days I looked after
mainframe systems written in COBOL and Natural (and some assembler which
I never had to support personally but my staff did).  I found that most
programmers write bad code because they don't understand what the
machine is doing with their code.  Probably doesn't matter any more but
old habits die hard! ;-)

Regards,
Peter
--
Peter Anderson

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to
conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the
introduction of a new order of things -- Niccolo Machiavelli, The
Prince, ch. 6