Functional/Best?

Tim Cook timothywayne.cook at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 09:39:05 EDT 2008

I guess I can classify my application(s) as more procedural than
anything else.  But I have a question about the best way to handle
something in Python.

When given a mapping of keywords, I want to call a function based on a
certain keyword found when parsing a text file.  The mapping looks like
this:

definClassMap={'SECTION':'bldSection','COMPOSITION':'bldComposition','OBSERVATION':'bldObservation','ITEM_TREE':'bldItemTree'}

So if the text file contains 'ITEM_TREE'  I want to call bldItemTree
which creates an instance of the class ItemTree.

I currently use an if ..., elif ... construct.

Is there a better, more efficient, more Pythonic way of doing this?

Thanks,
Tim

Join the OSHIP project.  It is the standards based, open source
healthcare application platform in Python.
Home page: https://launchpad.net/oship/
Wiki: http://www.openehr.org/wiki/display/dev/Python+developer%27s+page