SQLite and Python 2.4

Steffen Mutter steffen at webanimations.de
Fri Jul 4 17:17:52 EDT 2008

Hi Joe!

Am Tue, 01 Jul 2008 17:51:35 -0700 schrieb Joe Goldthwaite:

> I'm confused.  (Not a new experience).

Everyone looking for help in the usenet asking for help is sharing your
disease.

>  I've got a web application
> running under Zope.  I use the Wing IDE for testing and debugging.

Okay, you use the best development tool I've spotted so far...

>  When
> trying to recreate problems that come up on the web, I wrote some little
> routines that pull my cookies out of the Firefox cookies.txt file into
> my code. That way, I'm working with all the same options under Wing that
> my app uses when running under Zope.
>
> That's worked great until I upgraded to Firefox 3. Firefox 3 moved their
> cookies from cookies.txt to cookies.sqlite.

Which is quite handssome :-)

Never ever. Use http://www.pysqlite.org instead.

> 2. If sqlite3 is only for Python 2.5, does sqlite2 work the same way?

Think so. Never spotted problems.

> 3. Looking at the cookies.sqlite file, I see some text right at the top
> "SQLite format 3".  Does that mean that I need to use sqlite3?

No, not really.
But if I may make a suggestion, before you start spinning your brain off
with SQL syntax, analyze the database setup of firefox3 a bit and take a
look at SQLalchemy. I use it a lot and I bet you will like it - you just
have to care about your objects (in your case cookie checking) not about
the SQL at all.
I like it :-)

Regards,
Steffen