beginner's questions - manipulating text files

Ben Keshet keshet1 at umbc.edu
Tue Jul 1 19:16:30 EDT 2008

Hi,

I am a very beginner Python programmer with limited programming
experience overall.

I am trying to write a script that will search for the second and third
appearance of the symbol '@' in a file, will read a random line between
them, and write the line into a new file. So far I was only able to open
the file using 'open', but I am not sure how to proceed. I tried to read
it line by line using 'readline' but was not sure how to manipulate the
text the way I need to.

Could anyone please give me |a basic guidance as for what functions may
be useful for my purpose? (e.g how to search for a string '@' in a text?
how to identify its location? how to choose a random number in a defined
range? how to read that line number from a text file? etc.)|
|Any help will be much appreciated (please remember that I am a super
beginner).|
|Thanks.|