Zipping files

dp_pearce dp_pearce at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 15 11:24:55 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I have come across an error while using zipfile and I can't seem to
find somewhere that explains the problem. My script needs to be able
to take text files from one drive and add them to zip files on another
drive. The following seems to work just fine.

import zipfile

# write test file in working directory directory
folder = "J:/"
filename = "testing.txt"
fullpath = folder+filename
fout = open(fullpath, 'wt')
fout.write(str1)
fout.close()

# Add text file to zip file on same drive
zFolder = "J:/"
zFilename = "testing.zip"
zFullpath = zFolder+zFilename
zout = zipfile.ZipFile(zFullpath, "w")
zout.write(fullpath)
zout.close()
print fullpath, "successfully added to", zFullpath

However, if I change the drive letters to anything other than the
drive from which the Python script is saved (e.g. run script from J:
but zip to C:), I get the following warning:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "J:/test.py", line 18, in <module>
    zout = zipfile.ZipFile(zFullpath, "w")
File "C:\Python25\lib\zipfile.py", line 339, in __init__
    self.fp = open(file, modeDict[mode])
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'C:/testing.zip'

Can anyopne shed some light on what I am missing here? If it has any
relevance to the permissions part of the error, I am currently using
Windows machines.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Dan