Python internals question

Peter Anderson peter.anderson at internode.on.net
Tue Jul 15 09:54:46 EDT 2008

Hi! I am slowly teaching myself Python. I was reading David Beazley's
excellent book "Python - Essential Reference"; in particular about
variables. Let me quote:

"Python is a dynamically typed language in which names can represent
values of different types during the execution of a program. In fact the
names used in the program are really just labels for various quantities
and objects. The assignment operator simply creates an association
between a name and a value. This is different from C, for example, in
which a name (variable) represents a fixed size and location in memory..."

As an old mainframe programmer, I understand the way C does things with
variable but this text got me wondering how Python handles this
"association" between variable name and value at the lower level. Is it
like a fifo list?

If there is any Python guru that can help I would be most interested in
your thoughts.

Regards,
Peter
--

Peter Anderson

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to
conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the
introduction of a new order of things — Niccolo Machiavelli, /The
Prince/, ch. 6