how to debug python's extend module written in c/c++ on windows

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Thu Jul 17 01:34:22 EDT 2008

tcfg at sina.com schrieb:
> dear all:
>
> I have searched the debug informations of many python's IDE, but I
> cannot find the method about debuging the extend module written in
> Visual studio 2008 on windows.
> The wingIDE tell me that we can debug the extend module on linux, but
> cannot on windows. and using wingdbstub.py we can embed python into
> other's source code but not extending.
> Who can tell me the skills, I appreciate!

I use plain gdb (aka the C-debugger) for this purpose. Create a small
test-script that exposes the error you want to debug, and then start the
python interpreter in the debugger. Set breakpoints, or watch backtraces.

I can't comment on how that works on VS08 though - but it shouldn't be
to hard.

Diez