fromfile error on windows, not mac

jadamwil jadamwilson2 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 19:20:45 EDT 2008

On Jul 23, 3:30 pm, Fredrik Lundh <fred... at pythonware.com> wrote:
> Manu Hack wrote:
> > by the way, anyone could explain why changing to single quote makes a
> > difference?
>
> >  >>> "rb" == 'rb'
> > True
>
> There's no difference between single quotes and double quotes in Python.
>     My guess is cargo cult debugging.
>
> </F>

Ha...you're probably not that far from the truth. I just started with
python about a week ago, and have had a LOT of luck getting our lab's
data analysis routines ported from matlab, with the exception of this
problem. I tried a lot of different things to get it working on
windows, and I think I got python quotes confused with matlab or php
quotes (where double and single quotes are different), tried it, and
it happened to work (although I probably changed something else as
well in desperation). Of course, as many have pointed out, this does
not actually matter in python. So anyway, yes, someone new to a
language trying lots of different things without a full understanding
of the language could probably be considered cargo cult
programming :-). Thanks for the replies though!