re.search much slower then grep on some regular expressions

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven asmodai at in-nomine.org
Wed Jul 9 08:18:48 EDT 2008

-On [20080709 14:08], Kris Kennaway (kris at FreeBSD.org) wrote:
>It's compiler/build output.

Sounds like the FreeBSD ports build cluster. :)

Kris, have you tried a PGO build of Python with your specific usage? I
cannot guarantee it will significantly speed things up though.

Also, a while ago I did tests with various GCC compilers and their effect on
Python running time as well as Intel's cc. Intel won on (nearly) all
accounts, meaning it was faster overall.

>From the top of my mind: GCC 4.1.x was faster than GCC 4.2.x.

イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
Beware of the fury of the patient man...