Attack a sacred Python Cow

Jordan jordanrastrick at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 10:07:02 EDT 2008

> Personally, I think it has more to do with statements like "there are
> plenty of smart Python programmers who will
> justify all kinds of idiocy in the name of their holy crusade" than
> with your position. You don't begin a discussion by discrediting
> anyone who might disagree with you as some kind of religious bigot
> while simultaneously holding that you are the only sane voice
> speaking.

I didn't set out to discredit anyone who might disagree with me; in
fact I didn't in anyway try to pre-empt any person who might disagree
with my thesis. I merely stated an observation - I have in the past
seen seemingly intelligent people take silly stands in the name of
Explicit is greater than Implicit (not just on comp.lang.python, and
not just concerning != or self).

I wish in retrospect I'd had the time, patience and focus to edit the
initial post to make it more measured and less inflammatory, because
its clear the tone detracts from the argument I'm making, which I feel
still stands.

So if you wish, ignore the specifics of the frustration that inspired
me and consider only the thrust of what I'm saying:

"Explicit is better than Implict" considered harmful. Discuss.