Python embedding question (2).

Thomas Troeger thomas.troeger.ext at siemens.com
Tue Jul 22 08:07:23 EDT 2008

Carl Banks wrote:
> On Jul 17, 9:57 am, Thomas Troeger <thomas.troeger.... at siemens.com>
> wrote:
>>> I'd say that PyGame could be a solution.
>>> Or otherwise you could do your own audio/graphics programming (you don't
>>> tell us which OS you use, but there exist python modules that allow you
>>> to do barebones graphics & sound programming on linux...).
> Pyglet runs on top of OpenGL, which might have performance problems on
> an embedded device, if OpenGL or Mesa is even supported.  If it's
> supported, I suspect performance will be adequate for 2D drawing.  It
> almost certainly is the lightest solution you can find.
>

> Carl Banks

I've managed to put together a small pyGame program, it runs smoothly
and seems to be exactly what I wanted. It's fast! Even with 100 moving
objects it still runs so fast that I can consider using Python/pyGame
for the whole project.

There are still some questions left which I haven't found out by myself,
so maybe someone here can answer them:

- I can't see how to create more sophisticated text output, it seems the
built in font render facilities are limited to simple strings. Is that
true? I'd need a way to at least render multiline text with paragraphs
and bidirectionality, like pango does it. Is there a way to integrate
pango support into pyGame? I'd prefer marked up text display with text
properties ...
- Is there some way to reserve screen areas so they are excluded from a
blit, or do I have to manage stuff like this myself? I am thinking about
several graphic layers where each layer is painted on top of the next
layer, for example to draw a gui in front of a background image.
- There seems to be support for video overlay, i.e. is it possible to
have an external program paint an image from a camera into a portion of
the screen while pyGame is running?

Maybe this is the wrong list to ask, so please forgive the question but
direct me to somewhere better.

Cheers,
Thomas.