Newbie Python questions

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Thu Jul 31 03:10:14 EDT 2008

LessPaul <LessPaul at gmail.com> wrote:

>...My
>question is in regard to GUI platforms. My primary target would be
>Windows, but I would also like be able to support Linux and Mac
>versions if possible. I'm also interested in using a system that also
>has support for pure C++ applications. As such, and after reading many
>web pages regarding Python GUIs, I believe I have the candidates
>narrowed down to pyQT and wxPython.
>
>The first question -- how steep is the curve to become proficient with
>the above GUI packages?

There is so much personal preference here that it is extremely hard to give
any guidance.  If you have done any Windows programming at all, so that you
are familiar with the event-driven programming model, then I don't think
you would see that much difference in learning curve.  The two packages are
more alike than they are different -- the various APIs are just spelled
differently.

I happen to be a big wxPython fan.  I learn best by example, and wxPython
has a 44,000-line demo suite with 167 source files that demonstrates
virtually every class it includes.

>Since there appears to be no commercial licencing fee for wxWidgets/
>wxPython, the last question is what do I gain from going QT over wx?
>I've seen great applications written with both (on my computer I have
>the wxPython Digsby and the pyQT apps "Mnemosyne" and "Anki". All seem
>to be solid.

Yep.  Personal preference.
Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.